Monday, October 17, 2005

Today's Mix

I am reading:

Flash of the Spirit: African & Afro-American Art & Philosophy by Robert Farris Thompson. This book shows how the aesthetic sense of the African diaspora is derived from five African civilizations -- Yoruba, Kongo, Ejagham, Mande and Cross River.

Managing Turbulent Hearts: by Unni Wikan. An anthropologist explores what's behind the bright face that Balinese people present in public. Wikan makes use of the anthropology of experience to study emotion. Fascinating sidenote: there is one word in Balinese to mean thought/emotion: kene.

Adventure Divas: Searching the Globe for a New Kind of Heroine: by Holly Morris. Around-the-globe in pursuit of women who pursue their passions.

Africa: A Biography of the Continent: by John Reader. Epic overview of African history.

And remembering:
An El Anatsui sculpture at San Francisco's De Young Museum Saturday night. El Anatsui is a Ghanaian sculptor who lives and teaches in Nigeria. The sculpture at the De Young was reminiscent of Kente cloth, but made of folded-up recycled metal tins. Gorgeous mix of old and new.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nancy White said...

Wow, you just increased my reading list. Thanks! I found you after you posted a comment on my blog. And in curiosity, I wandered over. I'm glad I did. I'm sending your link to a friend.

7:51 PM  
Blogger joyfish said...

Thanks for wandering over, Nancy. Come by any time!

12:57 AM  
Blogger Molly Manewal said...

I love that sculpture! and I love your writing about S.F. and Bali--two places dear to my heart.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home